Thursday, June 30, 2016

Voyageur 50 (7/29/14)



Scott Jurek wrote about a race that I hoped to take on one day and I finally had the chance. The Voyageur 50 mile ultramarathon was this race. Fifty miles, out and back course from Carlton to Duluth, Minnesota. I read about this course as being rough, rugged, historical, and the epitome of what ultra courses should be so there was no chance in Hell I was going to pass up the opportunity for this experience. Timing wasn't fabulous; two weeks prior I ran another ultra that totally owned me. That course was awesome as well, but I just didn't have it in me for a multitude of reasons. I spent a few days following that ultra disaster and ripped about the day-examining factors that I could change, and acknowledging factors that were out of my hands. I determined that there were a few modifications that I had made in my prep for the previous ultra that did not work out in my favor. Primarily, my nutrition was way out of whack. I had cut carbs significantly about a month prior, trying to determine if I really needed them as much as I had depended out them for triathlon in ultrarunning. I noticed that when I eliminated most processed carbs from my diet, I felt better and was leaner. Who wouldn't call that a win? However, looking back, I do recall that the longer, more demanding training runs were less than stellar and can now recognize the culprit. I need carbs-maybe not as much as I used to each in tri (lived on cereal, whole wheat breads, etc.). That really doesn't shock me considering I typically put in two-a-days for most days of the week but it was a definite trial and error.
Leading up to the Voyageur 50 miler, I decided to go back to my roots and indulge in about 40% more carbohydrates that I had previously been consuming. However, I did ensure that most of these carbs were early in the day-allowing me to use them as fuel and not stored as fat. I swell up a bit when I consume carbs, I can't figure that on out, but it's all good. The two weeks between the previous ultra and Voyageur didn't give me a lot of time to examine much else, but I've learned it's much more beneficial to modify one training element at a time to accurately measure its effect, eliminating other variables. Two weeks also didn't allow me to put in the miles that I wanted to as within a week, I had to start my mileage taper. Again, HATE THIS. On top of low mileage and dietary changes, life was more stressful as usual which really messed with my head. My therapy (running) was restricted and my dietary changes definitely took a toll on my body as well. However, dreams of running the same course as Jurek, in my home state, kept me focused and kept me semi-sane.
I took on the Voyageur expedition solo. I had mixed feelings about this. Part of me thought I was going to be lonely as hell; another part longed for some quality time to myself away from distracts and free the typical BS that the norms of life present. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I found a resort and goggled some sights that I wanted to check out to keep me focused and my mind occupied. I jetted up to Minnesota Friday morning and it was an amazing drive. I called a few friends that I haven't chatted with in awhile and before I knew it I was laughing my ass off, rocking out to my iTunes with the windows down and sunroof open. I'm pretty sure I smiled the whole way and loved every minute of the 6+ hour drive. I arrived early, as usual, for packet pick-up in Carlton so I decided to trek on to Duluth to get checked in to my hotel and screw around for a bit. I was in awe of Duluth and Lake Superior and the beauty that consumed it. I checked out the University planetarium, aquarium, and downtown all before heading back to Carlton to get my packet/swag bag. For the record, I would move to Duluth in a minute..love that place. And I will definitely return to check out the nightlife, see some potential for pure awesomeness there. After getting my gear in Carlton, I met some awesome fellow runners and spent some time talking about the course, strategies, tips, and post-race plans. I loved it; they were awesome (even ran into a few fellow Ironm(e)n). Back to Duluth I headed-knocked out a killer supper with a local IPA, chilled in the hot tub, and geared up for race.
Race morning was spectacular. It was warm already and racers were already joking about the predicted temps in the mid-90's. Funny enough, Sunday's weather predictions were in the 60's. Go figure. My mindset was uncharacteristic. I told myself going into this race that I didn't want to kill myself in competition and miss out on the unique beauty and majesty of the course. I was relaxed and felt no pressure whatsoever. It was invigorating and welcomed, a pleasure that I'm not accustomed to race day.
It was awesome talking to the other runners, checking out everyone's gear strategies and shoes (I love shoes), and listening to the adrenaline-filled conversation fueled my nerves and excitement. It was good to see a few people I knew as well. We all lined up at the start, cued our GPS watches, and took off.
The beginning of the course was on a paved bike trail. This was ideal to get the nerves out, jockey for position, and warm up. I was blown away to see a dude running barefoot. Rock on you maniac! Before I knew it, a sharp corner took us into a filling, technical single track full of rooty, rocky crossings and a few traverses over some rocks that demanded minimal mountaineering skills. Running some of this was impossible. The sound of the river crashing over the rocks next to us was something I will never forget. I felt like I was in Colorado next to growing rapids and it was indescribable. The pack stayed pretty tight for the first several miles. Crossing over the swinging bridge was a little challenging but our spirits were high as we were welcomed by a cheering crowd and aid station. The aid was killer. I opted to only use my  9 oz handheld due to the proximity of the aid stations and that worked out well for me. They were stocked too, it's like they took my order and presented it to the "T". My 'go to' foods were there-raw potato and salt, watermelon and other fruits, and a grocery list of other goodies. The volunteers rocked; joking around with us and immediately taking our handhelds for refills before I could even ask. Midway in, I was second place female and the volunteers kept me posted on how far ahead she was. Honestly, I didn’t care-winning was not a goal for that day.
A group of us ran together and enjoyed the course and conversation. Mid-chatting--SMACK--I wiped out, face planting on the cross country ski course. I got up, laughed and joked about how graceful it was and pressed on. This was not to be my last fall of the day. Looking back, I'm blaming new shoes..
Ten+ miles in we hit the power line section. Holy hell, I have never run hills like that. And it was hot, mid 80's with no shade. I was happy with my performance on those beastly MN mountains, but cursed them all the same. The rumors are true, don’t underestimate your hill work if you plan to take those bad boys on. Pressing on we ran through a lot of hilly single-track, several creek crossings, a few rock climbing demands, a ski slope, and a few open areas. My pace was pretty decent for that course for quite some time; even through in a few sub-8's. Then it happened..Mile 23ish..I was running down a rocky section when I took another fall-but this one set the stage for the rest of the race. Before I knew it I hit the rocks hard-headfirst on one the size of a watermelon (but with less give) and slide several feet over the rocky trail. Immediately I lost my hearing and sight on the right side, felt like my jaw was hit by a baseball bat, got the wind knocked out me and felt like a f*cking elephant was sitting on my ribs, and banged up my quad, shoulder, elbow, hands, and right knee. I looked like hell. Mud and blood covered my body. Another runner was more freaked out than I was and before I could really catch my breath, he told me to stay down and he was getting a medic. I don’t blame him for bailing, there was nothing he could have done. I stood up to help my breathing as blood dripped down my arm. Other racers immediately approached me but I couldn't hear what they were saying, all I could hear was this damn horrible ringing in my ear. After some time of leaning against the free I decided I would continue on to the turnaround point, mile 25, for medical since I thought the course was too congested for them to come to me. I walked almost the entire way down the hill until I saw aid; then I jogged. I freaked out several volunteers who immediately helped me clean up and wiped off the blood. This hurt like hell as I was sweating from the 90+ degree heat and salt poured into the open wounds. Everything hurt. I took a little medical help for a few minutes and did a self assessment, head to toe. What I discovered changed my mind about my post-fall plan. Yes, I was hurting; yes, I looked like I was hit by a bus..But, I was able to make it over a mile and a half to aid and even jogged. The wounds were superficial and the injuries (quad, head, ribs) didn't necessary stop me from movement. Actually, moving felt better. I could finish this race. I wasn't going to be pretty, but it could be done and I am NOT a quitter. Death before DNF.
I downed some nutrition, thanked the volunteers, and turned towards the course. They were stunned and a couple argued my sanity. I had no argument. I told them that I would stop for assessments at each aid station and determine my status there. Immediately they radioed the other stations and told them the status of runner "245". At first, running was not an option. I discovered that the more I got my heart rate up, the faster my blood pumped, and the louder the ringing in my eyes was. My head throbbed a bit more then and my vision waivered. Eventually I found an easy pace that allowed my pulse to slow. The hills challenged me and I didn't push it. #gimpclimbinghills
I felt like celebrity at the aid stations. Everyone was expecting me. After the first couple, I realized that they were asking me about the same questions. "Do you know your name?" "What are you doing today?" "Where are you from?" I rehearsed the answers to these questions as approached each station, to be sure. I felt somewhat better and even found comedy in the situation and threw out a "Roseanne Barr" when asked for my name. He didn't find it as funny as I did.
The other runners were amazing; lots of encouragement, high-fives, and marvels at my 'badassness'. This drove me forward; I am forever grateful for that. Mile 49 welcomed me with the same ole bike trail trail that I kicked off the day on over 10 hours ago. I jogged comfortably..until….a female and her husband passed me. This had occurred on and off for the day and I didn't care but for some reason, this bothered me. I quick self checked resulted in me determining that I was holding back. What the f*ck was I holding back for?!? I had no answer to this and I was pissed. I continued to run behind them, thinking about the day, the course, Jurek, and my accomplishment thus far. Did I have anything left? Before I knew it, I noticed my pace increased and their lead was starting to shorten. Somehow, from somewhere, I tapped into a little speed. Nothing hurt at this point. All I remember is how thirsty I was and how that finish line was going to be my saving grace. 400 meters out and it was very clear to the couple that I was challenging them. The female cursed outloud when we had 100 yards to go and I made my move; passing them. Her husband said "let her go..". I assumed that she would listen, but wasn't banking on it (hell, I wouldn't have) so I dug deep and gave it all I got to cross the line. I finished 6th place overall female and the crowd solidified the achievement. It was amazing. High-fives, fist bumps, and a couple hugs after I crossed the line for the final kick were soon overpowered by concern and medical assessments. The pain returned as I sat down, but it was the best pain ever. I could have quit at mile 23; arguably I probably should have. But I didn't; I took on 27 more miles of hills, heat, and pain and I have no regrets. I needed that accomplishment more than I realized. Post-race shower (OUCH!!), medical attention, meal and beers with racers was my victory lap. No, I didn't win it. There were 5 other amazing girls in front of me, but it was a victory in its own right.
The Voyageur 50 is the most challenging, beautiful course that I have experience to date and I plan to return as long as I am physically capable. Who knows, maybe Jurek will return one day and I can meet the master himself.
I learned a couple days after the race that I broke a rib. I'm not surprised but it isn't a bad break, minor fracture-the pain has decreased from a sharp pain during deep breaths to an annoyance. Sadly enough, I had a similar injury from college basketball on the other side of my body so the pain is familiar. I guess I'm all evened out now. Balance is important in life.
I still look like crap and am a bit sore, but--very recently--started to feel like myself again. As before, I chose to take away positivity from this experience. The mind/human desire is far more powerful than we give it credit. Pain comes and goes at all levels, but it's up to us on how we handle it. Focusing on the pain, disappointments, and setbacks restrict advancement in every realm of our lives. It's extremely easy to be overcome by this and it can lead to regrettable life decisions and anger. Looking past the pain doesn’t mean that we should ignore it, avoid it, or minimize it..it just encourages us to find the victories in life and amazing gifts that we all have before us. After we acknowledge these gifts, it's easier to take on the pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment