Thursday, June 30, 2016

Milk. (3/14/14)



 Milk.

There was a time that I thought I could live on cereal and even tried. I don't recall I time where I ever didn't love cereal. As a kid I was drawn to the brightly, colored boxes that had the biggest, most bad ass prize in the box (cereal type was occasionally irrelevant if the toy was cool enough).  The bright visuals of the packages and whacky cartoon characters that were clearly dreamt up by some meth addict on a bad trip, called my name and I answered with open arms. Unfortunately, my family wasn't really loaded with cash and buying a box of sugar that was disguised as FDA approved cereal was just not cost effective given its short life span in the cupboards. Occasionally my brother and I were treated with 'kids' cereals, but it was a rarity. I really didn't know any better so there was no bitterness whatsoever towards my mom at the time especially since I learned that pouring sugar over any kind of cereal was just as rewarding. One of the best parts about mowing down a big ole bowl of sugar-laced cereal was the cloudy leftover milk that I would slurp down in pure bliss, savoring every fructose-laden drip of goodness.  It was take a good 30 seconds or so for the stream of milky sugar to slowly make its way from its way. I'd wait..patiently..in anticipation of that sweet, caloric goodness that would fuel my morning.  Ahh…sugary milk. Cheers to that.

When I went off to college my addiction continued. I clearly remember the first time I went to the grocery store to load up on my first, unsupervised adult stock of food. No parental advisement, no restrictions..no joke. Hello Lucky Charms-where have you been all my life? Hey you Cap'n Crunch-how you doin (in my best "Joey", from Friends voice)? Reese's Puffs-ARE YOU F#$&ING KIDDING ME??? The list was longer than Schindler's and just as painful. All these delicious vices encouraged a ton of processed carbs and gallons by gallons of milk. The satisfaction of knocking out a box of cereal in two days was occasionally cursed by a the roof of my mouth being raw (I blame the Cap'n..) and excessive bloating. I thought it was all the sugar, but I was wrong. The culprit for me was a surprising nemesis hidden by the media's glorification-milk. I didn't realize this until very recently. For years, I've felt the uncomfortable and often physically restricting side effects of sucking down milk and never thought twice about it. Then, as my interest in endurance sports and fueling my body took precedence over eating for entertainment matured, I started asking questions. Always ask questions. "Never Stop Exploring"-North Face.

A couple months ago I was in a coffee shop chatting with some obvious locals in a small town. Clearly they were farmers-bib overalls, black coffee. The sense of hard work and accomplishment permeated the table. Being the social person I am, I commented on the quality of the coffee and joined the conversation. Dairy farmers, all three of them..I'm pretty sure one of them had cow crap on his boot but I respected him too much to care. Somehow we began to discuss the dairy industry. As you can imagine, I was a willing observer in the discussion since I don't know a damn thing about farming. I've been on a few farms in my day but always felt substantially out of place. My experiences have encouraged me to be a little intimidated by cows. I remember in high school being on the back of a four wheeler flying through the pasture as cows chased us. That had the look of Satan Himself in their eyes and vegetarian or not, I thought wanted to eat my liver. Yeahhh, not really my thing. My only draw to a farm at this point is that I will--someday--take my turn riding a bull (of course wearing a red shirt)-likely supported by the IPA of the day. That has got to be a rush.  Anyways, chatting with my new farmer friends was enlightening to say the least. The conversation dipped and I jumped at an opportunity to learn more. I did have a question. After reading up on nutrition a lot lately, I wanted their take on milk and shelf life. I recall a friend mentioning how milk, minus all the additives added into it for preservation during the homogenization/pasteurization process, has a very low refrigerated shelf life. This comment has always stuck in the back of mind and this was my opportunity to ask about it. My question clearly instigated a little debate but this is what I pulled from it: Hormones addictives given to the cows clearly affect the milk and the overall nutritional value and general health benefits. To support this, I referenced Dr. Phil Maffetone's "Eating For Endurance".  He stated that bovine growth hormones increase milk production by 25%. Well, that's all good..But, he continues reporting that this same growth hormone as well as other "chemical contaminations" is contributors to the growth of cancer cells, specifically breast cancer in women. FAIL. I know, I know…everything causes cancer nowadays, right?! Think about it. If milk at its purest form is only supposed be good for a few days, how is it sitting in grocery stores for a couple weeks? Also, and this is my own theory--have you noticed how kids seem to be physically maturing quicker these days? I tie that to the hormone addictives in milk, meats, and other non-organic products. My ten year old is more developed than I am. #notcool. Hell, I could be way off but it's definitely something to consider.

Maffetone also goes on to explain (warning: put down the ice cream before proceeding..) that the growth hormones lead to udder infections, which leads to antibiotics and other drugs, and pus from infected udders contribute to that creamy goodness that we call milk. Mmm, Got Milk? No, but I'm going to yak now. I understand that impurities wouldn't pass FDA infections..I mean, inspections..(Freudian slip?) if there were obvious, serious health issues. But, how can we be sure that our best interests are being upheld via FDA? Recent additional research has really opened up my eyes about how politics and special interest groups have a hand in everything. Our treasured nutritional pyramid is a good example of this. Our children's meal plans at school, caloric recommendations, and tons of other reference points in regards to nutritional standards all stem from the Food Pyramid. Theorists have made valid concerns on the formation of this standard of excellence considering the authors have significant political ties. Something to ponder I guess. Things that make you go 'Hmmm..'

"Cow's milk is for cows; human milk is for humans." I've heard this before but never really let it sink in until I noticed the intestinal and GI issues that I have discovered in myself from indulging.  Maffetone's breakdown of percentages of casein and whey in cow's milk are the exact opposite of percentages in human milk (cow: 80/20; human 20/80). There's research on goats milk but I'm already boring myself so I'll digress..

I'm not going to bag on milk completely; clearly the reported benefits are incredible for some but to each their own. I did some experimenting and cut about 95% of dairy (feta in my salads is my primary current source…and has been for 5-6 weeks now). For me personally, I feel better. Less GI issues, weight loss, more lean muscle, better endurance. That is huge. Granted I have made some other significant nutritional changes, but I know that this move was big for me. As a student of nutrition, I didn't just cut out dairy and leave a gap in my diet. I've replaced milk with soy and almond/soy milk. It's an acquired taste, but it's not too bad. Works well with cereal, Starbucks, and White Russians so all is good. Just like my pescatarianism, I'm not being a Hitler about it at all. Life is too damn short for that crap…and I'm sure as hell not giving up Fong's.
Calcium intake has actually increased for me. The soy that use has 50% more calcium than the skim milk I used to guzzle. Additionally, my daily intake of spinach (loaded with calcium..) and few other things have really be a great milk alternative.

I have some definite vices that continue to haunt my diet that I am addressing…baby steps! Gone are the days of Lucky Charms as it has been replaced by steel cut oatmeal though-that is friggin huge for me. However, this historic love has been replaced with a crouton addiction. Damn, that's good stuff-salads, mix in with soups, pop it straight outta the bag..oooooh yeah baby. 
So, as much as I hate titles, I guess I am a pescetarian-mostly dairy free-soy infused freak. I've been called worse, I guess.

Thinking about steroid-infused cows has encouraged more of a raw/whole food organic diet for a large percentage of my day. Less processed and more natural ingredients have increased nutritional value written all over it. It's challenging, time consuming, occasionally restrictive, and a little more costly… but when have I shyed away from a challenge or not thrived on restriction? Bring it biatch. I like it; it's another discipline that I have in my life to keep me focused, driven, and geared towards self improved--all factors that I dig.

Like any major lifestyle change, I'm not recommending that people cut dairy-udders would explore everywhere if mass milk consumption decreased dramatically. What I recommend is making conscious efforts to question why you don't feel so hot sometimes. We all feel like crap on occasion and likely don't think twice about its source or maybe even just put a band aid on it by self-medicating it for that single episode. The problem with that is we never truly find the source of the discomfort, or the pain. We just keep covering it up and waiting patiently for it to go away. Reactive vs. Proactive. I think it's astonishing to hypothesize the difference that we would feel in our lives if we start questioning discomforts and the route cause, not just the presenting aches and pains. I think we've become comfortable about accepting the routine BS that we encounter and are far less proactive because we accept it. Why accept anything that causes pain? Make changes. Or, go ahead and sit back and allow history to repeat itself..then post in on Facebook on how appalled you are. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Insane in the membrane.

I challenge you to examine one issue in your life, from nutrition to fitness, relationships to recovery, self-anguished and guilt to your car insurance policy. Taking a close look at any aspect in life can reveal opportunities for improvement. Step two, be proactive vs. reactive. Step three, make a sandwich-this shit is exhausting (hold the mayo).

No comments:

Post a Comment