Thursday, June 30, 2016

Run (1/26/14)



“The best things in life make you sweaty.” 

It's amazing how accurate this is, in my humble opinion. Actually, let me just lay this disclaimer out now: everything I right is clearly in "my humble opinion" so I don't think I'm going to repeat that again.
Back to the quote. If you know me, you know that I feel very strongly about this-including my sports, excessive bouts of laughter (never laughed until you literally perspired? Peeing your pants totally counts), and handful of other joys in life (wink, wink). This isn't my quote, it's actually from a very famous individual. Surprisingly, he wasn't an athlete which makes it more powerful and less 'plastic' to me.
So, one day I started running... I wasn't ever a runner until awhile after I became a mom. I found running to be a good way to try and get out of the pressures that seemed to loam in every corner of my life at the time. I needed to make some changes but knew I needed some clarity before these decisions were to be made. I needed a temporary escape to help refocus. I wanted new scenery, I wanted new smells, I wanted to feel the different temperatures that came along with hot summer days and chilly fall evenings. As a lifelong athlete, I longed to feel the endorphin release that once surged through my body and knocking down a 3-pointer or 'accidentally' knocking some opponent on their butt for getting a little too cocky, sense of fitness and mental clarity, and to be the 'jock' that had previously been some emotionally fulfilling for me. Running was a perfect fit but it wasn't love at the beginning.
 I was influenced as well, encouraged and motivated. Several things drove me initiatlly. I love listening to what drives and encourages people--referencing everything from a dream to a Nike commercial. These things are so different for everyone, unique as their fingerprint. For some, it's genetics and a internal fire that seems to have ignited by simply coming into this work. Other people are more driven by logistics and facts. Numbers and statistics somehow captivate people. Did you know that 34% of statistics are made up? Think about that.
 I find it fascinating how many people are so easily influenced by others. I'm not saying this is a good thing or a bad thing, just an observation. I feel that 100% (there I go with statistics again..) of us have been influenced by one thing or another. I'm not just talking about life-altering experiences; this includes the effect that media has on our daily habits, including how we eat, what we drink, and trending topics. I've witnessed this and experienced it in various forms and have learned valuable lessons. On a not-so-fabulous note, influence can tear you down- stripping you of all individual identity; demolish any new ideas that may have even just the slightest hint of social rejection; encourage self defeating and demoralizing habits; encourage hate and prejudice; cheer on a crappy haircut; blah blah blah. Who's to blame? We are people. Remember this: "Guns don't kill people, people kill people." I think that can apply to so much more than gun control and social issues.
Human nature encourages us to be influenced, which I feel is way we are all susceptible-just some of us more than others. Marketing geniuses have developed and reaffirmed practices and strategies that play off this simple notion…and it's working and padding bank accounts. Everything from inspirational mantras and punch lines to technology designed to specifically play off our senses. It's no secret that companies pipe in certain smells, audible cues, and color schemes that are designed to influence-typically purchases. Prison systems have created cells that are painted with a certain color to directly influence inmates' attitudes. The examples are endless and overwhelmingly successful. Big businesses have made millions of it and Americans have gotten fat over it.
I was influenced by a few people early into my running career. One individual, who was fairly established as a runner, annoyed the hell out of me. Ever have someone just rub you the wrong way for no reason whatsoever? Yep, this was exactly how it went down..then later on they gave me a reason which added to my fuel. So, yes, I am not proud to say this..I kinda wanted to kick their ass at their own game. That sounds stupid and immature, but it was what it was. I'll own that. Also, passive aggressive revenge seemed far more rewarding at the time and was also more likely to keep me out of jail. So, I laced up.
More importantly and much more impacting was another individual had a much more positive influence on me through ways of encouragement, social acceptance, and a little ego boosting. I was driven to please and didn't want to let this person down. My humble beginnings in running were just that-humble. I mostly ran alone (ok, still do… but always with my head down. I think this had something to do with being a rookie in the sport and not knowing if I had it in me to meet my own personal expectations-which were still unclear to me at the time. No one expected anything out of me and there should have been no pressure to succeed. I put that on myself, my own psychological torture began when I took on this new challenge. Looking down was likely out of respect and reverence to the running gods and accomplished athletes that I would routinely see on the streets, sidewalks, and track at the Y. Regardless, looking down didn't help me see what I could accomplish. This individual encouraged me to look up and I liked that. So, I laced up.
I signed up for my first race ever-5k. I know..Ooooooo! The anxiety that I had that day was pretty intense. It's funny to me now but I can still remember the feeling. I was a newbie, knew nothing of strategy, nutrition, mechanics, diaphragm breathing, pacing, hill technique, etc. I knew that I should start at the gun and finish at the finish line. The gun went off and I successfully completed the first part..now to find that finish line. Adrenaline shot through me like a bat outta hell and it fueled me. I loved that. I felt like I looked like the roadrunner on Saturday morning cartoons (yes, I am dating myself here) where you couldn't even see the legs-they were just a blur. Looking back, my pace was far from impressive but at the time I was a beast on a mission.  I could literally feel it surging through my body, something that I can still feel today and have learned to manage for key components in racing-a learned skill. Seeing the finish line came quicker than I expected. Even more unexpected was the medal I got-first overall female. WTH? I killed my first race, I was hooked, and have not looked back. My running, which was inspired by a handful on contradicting things now was fueled by accomplishment and little more pride. I started running with my head up after that. I started looking not just at what I could see in front of me but what I wanted to see in my future. I started looking at things proactively vs reactively and found a new understanding in goal-setting. Life changing.
That's how it all started. Some passive aggressive revenge, social motivation, and insanely high expectations imposed on me by no one but myself. I have thought about what would have happened back then if I didn't do well at the race, if I didn't take home some hardware. It scares me and saddens me at the same time. All I know is that the experience provided new direction, new passions, new goals, new amazing friends, and a new confidence that encouraged some pretty life changing decision making. All because I laced up. Epic.
I also think about why I started, especially noting that part of my inspiration was far from admirable. This reminds me that great things can potentially come from any situation. My less than positive motivation wasn’t the driving force to my success that day, but it did catapult a driving factor that was. I've always been competitive but didn't always channel it correctly. This channeled drive opened up the doors to the true meaning of running for me and the passion that has positively influenced my life. I make conscious efforts to look for situations like that and lean towards being more optimistic. This takes effort and can pull people out of their established routine and comfort zoen--which is where some people screw themselves. It is much easier to take a pessimistic approach to people and situations because if we expect pain and failure, it doesn't hurt as bad when it happens. I'm going to be bold and call that laziness, among other things. Nothing worth having comes easy, in most circumstances. (..Except for buying gummy bears in bulk--easy and fabulous). Additionally, the efforts used to take proactive steps towards optimistic results are often wasted on self destructive reactive measures. It would have been extremely easy to not put in the efforts required to start running. I can cite a ton of excuses (yes "excuses" not reasons) on why I could have not starting running. It was a choice-a choice to set aside insecurities, face my nemesis, challenge myself, restructure parts of my life, and change the way I looked at life (head down…to head up). The freedom of choice is powerful. For me, this amazing sport was my starting block to future accomplishments. All because I laced up.
“The best things in life make you sweaty.” I take this literally but also hypothetically. I think the author could have been referencing that the best things that we will experience in life requires effort, drive, proactive planning, and challenge. Get sweaty, lace up..or do whatever it takes to get what you want, what you need, and what you truly deserve. I think it is perfectly naturally to start running with our heads down but if we 'don't sweat', that's where we always will be. Looking up takes some serious attention…but the view is amazing.
I'm trying to apply this concept to other parts of my life-my career, family, relationships, and faith. "Bring home some hardware" or "medaling" in life is not a daily routine but there neither is bonking out (term for hitting a physical and mental wall in a run), but every day I will lace up.

Guess the author of my quote? ….Edgar Allen Poe (literal bad ass)


No comments:

Post a Comment