Thursday, June 30, 2016

Rocky Raccoon 100 (2/9/2015)



It was no secret going to RR100 that I was not a happy camper. A little over a month before the glorious countdown to the start of Rocky I re-aggravated an angry hip flexor tear and happened to add to the pain by tossing in a small adductor tear as well. Running was not an option for a couple weeks and my typical focused, ‘hunter’ mentality was shot to hell. Life was not pleasant for me and the people close to me leading up to the race. As usual, I found myself a recluse, unintentionally cutting out socializing with friends and avoiding situations where I actually had to contribute to life: notable character flaw, I totally own that. Several of my friends who know this about me recognized my psychotic downslide and tried to make me laugh, kept their distance, or both. I appreciate these people for not calling it as it was and telling me to kiss off permanently.  Those are my kind of peeps and even though it wasn’t readily apparent, I am grateful as hell for them in my life and am inspired by their tolerance and understanding.

My daughter is a trooper and deserves a humanitarian award for dealing with my bipolar, rollercoaster as well. Most of my efforts on not being a total bitch were focused on her and I feel I did a fairly acceptable job. Her comments like “I can see you haven’t had a run in a while” and “you need just need to work out, or a coffee” were reality checks and comic relief. I think I needed both. I have a wise 11 ½ year old who is blessed with more patience than I have.
Planning for RR100 had begun a couple months prior. I was stoked to lock in my homeslice and Hawk pacer, Keith. Keith and his better half (my sister wife), Holly, were key in keeping my spirits high and perspective optimistic during the influx of doubts and insecurities. Good people-they’ve got a friend for life in my book. It’s rare that I you find people that you can vent to, be inspired by, and even tell stories about pooping in garbage cans to without being judged. I probably shouldn’t have sent that picture however. My bad.
Nearing the race, my selfishness diminished slightly and it became very clear that I may not even make it to the start and Keith’s flight was already booked so I encouraged him to sign up and snag a buckle himself. Convincing him to run for HIM and not me was like trying to steal cake from a fat kid-not easy, damn near impossible. I never once doubted his motives and he always was focused on my best interest. Luckily, he was able to see ‘reason’ and didn’t completely blow off the idea of running if I ABSOLUTELY knew I wasn’t going to take Rocky on. There aren’t too many athletes that can sign up last minute for a competitive 100 miler but my bad ass pacer is one of those beasts that can. My pacer is better than your pacer..so let that marinate for a bit. BAM.
Weeks out to the race turned into days out and I was like an emotional  little girl that was too short to ride the rollercoaster. I hated that. I wanted to run so badly but every time I put a foot on the treadmill or tried to run the track, I was reminded that my body was not approving. I cross-trained, took up pool running, added more biking, and the dominated the Cybex at the Y. I had good days and bad days and was floored how one day I could actually run up stairs and feel fine and how the next day walking to the pool felt like pain inflicted at a Nazi death camp. Massage therapy, Epsom salt baths, stretching, natural anti-inflammatory supplements and prescription meds were all a part of my normal routine as well as was cursing my leg, weeping like a Kansas fan, and falling in and out of an abyss of self-pity and self-defeating  tunnel vision. Cutting out cocktails for a couple months and then caffeine leading up to race week was just an added joy (sarcasm).

Before I knew it, I was driving to the airport wearing two compression sleeves, KT tape, and a leg brace -still having no clue whatsoever if I was going to attempt this 100 mile race. Not ideal.
As with my prior two hundred milers in the last 10 months, my mom was crew chief and therapist. She’s awesome. I couldn’t ask for better help. Period. It was good to see her and I wanted to make her proud. I wanted to make the rest of my family and close friends proud. I felt the self-imposed pressure of knowing that if I nut up and attempt this race, that I have some standards to live up to. Realistically, I know this is ridiculous but it did influence my anxiety level and psychosis on various levels. And then there was the highly likely possibility of a DNF. “Death before DNF” has been motto thus far and it’s been tested a couple times…another character flaw. Over the last year of rookie ultrarunning, I definitely had made a few questionable decisions about finishing a race when faced with injury. Concussions, bleeding from the ear, temporary vision loss, and a rolodex of crap isn’t really promoted in the magazines. Sadly this stupidity continues to be fed, basically because I haven’t died yet. Anyways, I like to see things through which means if I start something, I going to squeeze the life out of every morsel of potential to finish the job. That is who I am and I make no apologies for it whether it be ultrarunning, triathlon, relationships, or a container of vodka-soaked gummy bears.
I am envious of those who have a better grasp on pulling the plug when needed. I have not been blessed with the wisdom of throwing in the towel when it makes sense medically. Or, maybe this..Maybe I have been blessed with the insight that we can progress against the odds of human understanding and still be successful. Hmm? Oh snap. It’s no secret that I preach the fact (I repeat: FACT) that the human body has so much untapped potential and many people will never see it. Scores of people have no interest in pushing themselves whether it be physically, mentally, or emotionally. Comfort zones are like your favorite hoodie: they feel awesome…and if you put up the hood, pull the drawstrings tight, you can’t see anything beyond the fuzz in your face-Blinded by comfort and complacency. This is probably one of the biggest unfortunate realities experienced daily by the human species and it makes me sad and angry. Years will scroll by and opportunities for greatness will be bypassed without recognition. Physical health will suffer for those who don’t feel they have what it takes to make nutritional and lifestyle changes to ward off those extra pounds and, in turn, possibly avoid preventable diseases. For others, they may go in and out of relationships, running when conflict or discomfort arises, self-medicating or seeking immediate gratification and projecting unrealistic expectations.. and yet they will never truly find lasting happiness. The list of missed opportunities is extensive and growing as people refuse to ask “what is my limit to my potential?” and fail to acknowledge that they have the balls, and have always had the balls, to actually do something about. But, I digress..
Clearly I look at my ridiculous distaste for the DNF or DNS (Did not start) as a beneficial character trait, versus flaw-even though my doctor, loved ones, and certain body parts my contest that. Remember the He-Man cartoons? Random thought: He-man was ripped but I bet he can’t run a sub-8 marathon. Some assets are obvious, but occasionally these assets mask short-comings.
Life sculpting experiences have emerged my insane dedication to my goals and noted perspective, and I am grateful for that. I am encouraged by some great friends that understand this and have unfriended a few that preach against it. Sure, tell me your opinion, I respect that; however, don’t disrespect my passion because you don’t understand. Ignorance can be offensive and opinions/people are disposable in my book.

Attending Rocky packet pick up in Huntsville was bittersweet but proved to be critical to my decision-making and insight. The event was well-organized and reeked of glorious, eager ultrarunners and badassness (new word-credit S. Whitmore). It was splendid to greet friends and make new ones. I will always welcome these beasts into my life and will genuinely support this community. I looked around and was immediately reminded on why I was there. It wasn’t about the painful triple digit mileage that loomed in the horizon, it wasn’t the buckle or the delicious aid station food, it was the entire experience. Being surrounded by these like-minded maniacs fueled and challenged me to take a good look at my motives, separate my ego, and live for the day I was blessed with.
Sitting in the car after trail briefing was monumental. I took everything in, weighed the possibilities of actually starting and completing the race and then decided that it doesn’t matter. I will gladly DNF before DNS. I wouldn’t know unless I tried and if I chose to play it safe I wouldn’t be any better than the majority of the population that failed to look beyond their favorite hoodie. Medically there was risk-no doubt about that, but the emotional and spiritual gamble outweighed it. Right or wrong, that’s how I roll. I had to trust my training, knowing that even though I was 189 miles behind my self-authored training plan, and placed faith in the fact that I had been working on strengthening the muscles and tendons around my injuries that may…that should…at least give me a fighting chance for completion. I embraced the possibility of DNF and chose to focus on the minutes or miles that the ultragods allowed rather than what I may be denied. My passion for ultra finally trumped my ego and it felt friggin fabulous. I won’t go back to that mindset. #SayGoodbyeDon’tFollow

Race morning rolled around and was stoked to learn that Keith was able to sign up and take on Rocky 100 solo. This took a huge weight off my shoulders and I felt that it was the best option and use of his time, interest, and skill to earn a buckle instead of the impending possibility that I may not even make it to mile 60 when pacers were allowed to finally lace up. I proceeded with my typical race morning routine and lined up blindly with friends and a couple of hundred soon-to-be running comrades.
Nothing is more exciting than the RD shouting down the countdown to start. I may have pee’d a little. Regardless this warmth (or energy) encouraged a bit of adrenaline that suffocated out any pain for the time being and I started off the race feeling great. As with any mass start, jogging and walking was the only option in the beginning due to population of Rocky runners jockeying for position. I can be kinda bitchy about this and don’t like to be restricted, so in true Steph-fashion I almost immediately bailed on my start run crew and hurdled a few bushes to trudge to some open trail in the front. This always puts be with a few elites which is a comfort to me. Running with these trail masters is humbling, educational, and inspiring. Great conversations graduated to laughs and even a marriage proposal. I said yes but then became slightly gassy and may have scared off my chance for matrimony. Damn, I liked his socks.
Before I knew it I had locked in a great pace and was maneuvering myself through the rooty, winding trail guided by adrenaline and my headlamp. It was beautiful, magical, and painless for the first 20-25 miles. I was afraid to internally celebrate this because I just waiting for the next stride to drop me in my tracks.
Physical limitations are real and I was reminded. Due to some serious tightness and teasings of pain around my injuries that was starting to emerge, I shortened my stride a bit-taking more steps to cover the same amount of distance. This is VERY hard for me. I naturally have longer stride and cutting it meant slowing a bit and exerting more effort unnecessarily-not ideal for a 100 mile endurance run. But, I was “listening to my body” and its orders were clear. Thank you sir, may I have another.
Naturally changing run form encouraged over-exertion on opposing compensating muscles. I knew this was coming. My focus shifted from dodging trail roots to trying to relax muscles mid-run that were tiring quickly. This processing bit me in the ass when I lost a little visual focus and landed hard on one of bazillion roots that signified Rocky’s reputation. I rolled my right ankle a bit, cursed, and pressed out without missing stride. This immediately changed my game plan, knowing that within the next 15-20 minutes I was going to have to stop and tighten my shoe to keep the swelling from taking me out of the race completely (little trick I learned from Hawk Hundred). I schedule this into my next aid station stop which called for Ramen noodles, HEED refill, and a handful of M&Ms…I added Aleve to this menu as well and kept moving, beast mode.

Hawk also educated me on what a ‘bonk’ feels like and I had an immediate flashback. An excruciating injury at that race destroyed my appetite and my calorie deceit became too extreme to support my demands. I bonked hard at Hawk and I wasn’t going to have a repeat performance. I recalled this lesson learned and  I forced in the calories, despite the clear disinterest in food and never struggled nutritionally throughout the entire race. Nutrition is key people; do what you have to do regardless if it's appealing or not, or don’t run 100’s. It’s that simple.

I was amazed that lap and lap was passing at Rocky. Being undertrained, I knew my time goal was not going to be realistic so I focused on completion. The rugged, yet epic, course took a definite toll on my injured ankle, flexor/adductor, and spirit but I was determined to not be defeated. I set out an early push to give myself a cushion just in case the inevitable happened and I had to walk. I’m not a walker; hate it, even when I know that it’s part of my game plan on hills/scheduled sections of the course. My walking  mimicked more limping than anything and ripped my heart out when I had to put my head down and allow racers to pass. I was one angry bitch for several hours, walking about 35 miles or more. I resorted to music to try and keep spirits manageable but some of the songs encouraged more rage than contentment. Many comrade racers passed and offered condolences and kind words. I tried to respond but definitely needed to improve in that area. I was lacking grace on a major level. I focused on the beauty of the course during this time, took out earbuds and listened to the toads and mysterious sounds echoing through the Texas woods. Then my headlamp flickered…flickered again, and then as if in protest to my journey, died. FML. For about a mile a slid my feet along the path until I finally tagged the light of a fellow runner until I got my spare at the aid station. Back at it, I focused on the task at hand that seemed to be quite the tall order.  I teared up and flat out cried multiple times out of emotional exhaustion, pain, and joy randomly and I was totally ok with it. Giving myself completely to this course meant not holding anything back. I thought about what this truly meant in my life and how I have held in thoughts, feelings, and emotions and how I have likely not completely committed myself to other life situations as I had thought I had in the past. I vowed to just ‘let it out’ in future occurrences. I thought about many people that I cared about as well as a few that I had unresolved issues with and was blessed with a very interesting experience. I noticed that every time I got too caught up in negative thoughts or recalling situations with pessimistic people or those who have screwed me over, I would stub my toe on a goddamn root. Seriously…It got to the point that it was almost comical when it happened and immediately shook me back to more positive thoughts. Apparently I wasn’t completely successful because I ended up losing a toenail. Regardless: lesson learned. #brain=checked.

The final two laps were full of gut checks and inspiration. My body was spent and my injuries were screaming at me. It was a David and Goliath moment when I dug deep and ran on all I had left: dedication, belief in myself, and heart. These three aspects took me through the pain, gave me direction, and directly resulted in crossing that finish line, sub-24 and second in my division. It was definitely not the time that I had hoped for and trained for pre-injury..not even close, but the victory was sweet.

If I would have DNS’ed, there would have been so much that I wouldn’t have experienced and learned. Pain wasn’t my tutor, but it was definitely in the lesson plan. Pulling out a completion and my 3rd buckle in about 10 months of my rookie ultrarunning career felt sick, in an amazing way. I’ll take that. Hell, I’m proud of that. And for those who look at my finish time and are unimpressed: rock on, I couldn’t care less. My ego no longer has a stronghold on my feelings of accomplishments. I look at my shortcomings as opportunities for redemption and improvement. I will have another day in the sun and you’d better believe that I’m going to make the best out of it. That’s what is awesome about life, the sun rises and shines on countless opportunities for taking steps forward and healing old wounds. It’s up to us if we lace up and join the race (knowing there may be a possible DNF) or if we lay on the couch in that incredibly comfortable, pizza-stained hoodie and pull those drawstrings. Choice is an amazingly empowering thing..and also a great responsibility.

Thanks Rocky. Thank you to my fellow runners,  RDs, volunteers (that pumpkin pie was fab), crew, friends, family, and doubters. Thank you to the root the claimed my toenail and shifted my focus from negative thoughts to tomorrow’s sunrise.

Time to start planning the next one…

No comments:

Post a Comment