Thursday, June 30, 2016

Pott Trail 100, First 100-miler (4/12/14)



Once upon a time on a random evening after a good run I finally made a commitment: sign up for my first 100-miler. My own personal desire to take on this bad boy was fueled by the race that I chose: the Potawatomi Trail 100 in Pekin, Illinois. My initial reason for taking on a spring race was because I wanted an early season race. My thoughts behind this were this: I wanted to learn about what it takes to take on 100 miles so I could dominate a race of the same caliber later in the year. April sounded good. Second, it had to be close by for time and financial purposes. Third, I wanted it to be 100% trail, hilly, and unforgiving. This is basically because I didn't want to attempt an 'easy' 100. I wanted to feel the full force of a century monster and I wanted no mercy. I'm sick, I know. All signs pointed to the Pot100 so I jumped on board, blindly..naive…but excited as hell.  Reading through the course description and skimming through the website was very encouraging and I basically decided that I might as well just go for it. Life's too short to talk big-I'm all about action (check my references). Contemplating logistics lead to me really not having any excuse-legitimate excuses-not to suck it up and commit. So I did. With a simple finger stroke it was done. Clicking on "complete registration" reminded me of the anxiety, excitement, and feelings of obliviousness as when I jumped onboard for Ironman Wisconsin. Oh snap; this is legit. No turning back..only moving forward. BRING IT.
I've experienced so winning moments from a single move of a digit, but this moment was epic. "Click"…committed..Instant urge to hit the bathroom. Jumping onboard to this challenge awakened the drive and focus that I have learned fuels a big part of me. However, ultra is still very new for me-only been cranking out distance running since October so I felt like a Smurf in the land of Giants. Lucky for me, I like blue.
As expected, strategizing and research began almost immediately. I started asking my ultra friends a lot of questions, reading up on nutrition/hydration, checking out gear, listening to podcasts and being entranced by YouTube lectures featuring Scott Jurek (The Master), Michael Arnstein (arrogant but skilled), Tim Olson (my hero: passionate runner), Sebastien (Goofball, optimistic beast), Anton (stud, embraces the purity of the sport)..the list is extensive. I learned a lot from hanging on every word from these amazing freaks of nature. Surprisingly, almost more of my education came from the rookies in the sport and my own established endurance training.  As a veteran competitor, I've learned that adapting to someone else's game plan will never be completely beneficial for me. I take bits and pieces from my cohorts and resources, plug in what fits and disregard the rest. I have never followed a 'basic' training plan, taper plan, or nutrition guidelines and I'm learning more and more what works for me. For Ironman, my strategies were simplistic, personal, and manageable. I decided early on that strategizing my 100 mile ultra would be no different. If it ain't broke…
So, I created my own training plan. It wasn't too horrible, in my opinion--early week low mileage and two harsh, back-to-back long runs to finish the week (..with quite a bit of crossing training to fill my time and keep advancing). I wrote by calendar out for the months and weeks leading up to race week, plotting specific mileage, hill work, sprint work, and treadmill strength cross. As with any plan, it was unique to my needs, time allowances, and ego. Because of winter was a clear gift from Satan himself, I will freely admit that all but about 8 runs were treadmill. Seriously. This terrified the hell outta me but I guess I am proof that the right kind of treadmill training will pay off. It really wasn't that bad and am now very fond of it. I find it idea for a variety of target workouts. With the horrible ice, snow, and cold that plagued Iowa for months, the long runs were indoors. I do not believe that risking injury on ice or crap conditions advance training and endurance at all. All it does is scream "liability" to me. I fondly recall my 40 mile long run on a treadmill as more mental than anything, but I am so glad I did it and would do it again. Treadmill is great to practice form, breathing and incline (hill) technique, mental fortitude, and ideal for sampling different nutrition options during long runs. Seeing a friggin buffet on the machine that I was owning for a few hours was a common sight at the Y. 'Check My Brain'
The weekend before Pot, the weather finally cooperated. So, naturally, I got out there and over killed two heavy back to back days of 2 1/2-3 hours each with strong hill work. This is when I pulled something in my hip flexor area. Long story short, taper week was not a joyous occasion. I was terrified that I wasn't even going to be able to race due to not being about to knock out 2 miles easy on the treadmill after I injured myself. I cried, cursed, cried, cursed heaving until mid-week when I got serious about therapy and got a killer (painfully amazing) massage. I followed through with an intense resting, icing, and elevating routine. No running. I suck at tapering and I hate it with every ounce of my being. Necessarily evil, but still EVIL. Taper week is always hell for me. I get fat, bitchy, anxious, and am hypersensitive about everything. I typically hibernate, cut off ties to the world and feel sorry for myself--a self-admitted character flaw that my friends and family have grown to accept. However, this time around it was different. Thursday night I went out with some awesome people and finally made it home after an eventful night of cocktails and rock music around 2 a.m. No way in hell would I do that if I was prerace for triathlon, but ultra is a whole new ballgame. I love ultrarunning..I love it like a fat kid loves cake.
Friday rolled around and I was blessed to drive to Pekin, Illinois with loved loves and hook up with the rest of my support crew. A nice relaxing evening, a Coors Light, and good conversation with great people put me in a comfortable and relaxed state-possibly just completely naive to what I was about to face. I went over last minute crew instructions and expectations, got my gear laid out, and curled up for a decent rest with the help of Melatonin and a little, motivating massage. I was excited, no doubt about that, but totally felt the rookie humility associated with a virgin attempt at a 100 mile adventure.
I typically beat the alarm clock race mornings and this morning was no exception. I laid there in my hotel bed going through my race plan and checking off the needs. The alarm sounded and it was the Kentucky Derby; I was up and at it-enjoyed a Cliff bar and Ensure along with some M&M's and gummy bears (the Breakfast of Champions) and geared up. Before I knew it we were out the door and race bound. Driving to race sites is always exciting. My senses are alive and seem to recognize every detail of my environment. I remember sipping on Frost Gatorade and thinking that it felt uncharacteristically sweet. I felt pretty good other than my tight hip flexor and feeling like a fat ass. 72 hours of increased sodium and caloric intake does not wear well on me. I felt like Fat Bastard from Austin Powers. I want my baby back, baby back, baby back…ribs
Pulling into McNaughton Park shifted my thoughts from my swelling body to the pure, undaunted splendor of the event. The sea of headlights, headlamps, and reflective gear was beautiful-damn, these were my kind of people. This is one of my favorite moments. Picasso himself couldn't have awed me anymore than this sensational atmosphere. The tension was thick and was easy to pick out the rooks from the vets. Nervous conversation, questioning of sanity, gear checks and rechecks, prayers, and vulgarities filled the exquisite pre-dawn air. It was dark but I knew this wasn't the first time I was going to deal with this so I focused on slowing my breathing and using the fresh night air to further awaken my senses and calm my racing mind. I continued to appear chill, as usual, but distant (as usual). My mind replayed my game plan like a CD stuck on 'repeat'. This is me, this is what I do. Before we knew it, the RD gathered us for the pre-race chat, informing us that 'we will get wet' (the water levels are high). My self-diagnosed ADD kicked in and I thought about the rides at Disney World that warn "You may get wet, possibly soaked". I smiled at this thought and then made a conscious decision to remain focused the RD. I don't know why but the thought of running for a couple days in wet feet excited me. I recalled the two sets of spare shoes and multiple socks that were at my disposal and my mind was at ease. I'm good, I'm prepared. Last minute goodbyes, a few pics, and all of a sudden I was standing at the Start/Finish line. A lot went through my end in those few seconds-I thought about my training, my injury, my strategy, my loved ones that were supporting me, and then I thought about the garage door. I'm pretty sure I left it unlocked; oh well.
Before I could finish reciting P4:13 the race started and we were off.  I restrained my adrenaline and looked at the first downhill to kick off the day. It was fairly technically and required you to jump side to side in some areas to avoid breaking an ankle. I loved this race from the first 100 yards.
Course: Pot 100 is broken down into ten 10-mile loops. This was excellent for strategy planning but not so great for those who didn't have the mental fortitude to stick it out and avoid a quitting and calling it a day. I don't blame anyone for their decision; I respect every athlete that took this big dawg on. The first loop was all about learning the course and creating a strategy to where I needed to open up my stride to stretch my legs and when I needed to force myself to cut pace and reserve my energy. Luckily, I didn't really have much of a choice on cutting pace--the hills owned me, they owned us all. One was so significant the RD placed a rope to pull yourself up. I used it- every time. I knew it was an opportunity to completely depend on arms, tri's and biceps and give my legs a break. The water crossings were sick..in a bad ass type of way. I thought there was only two, but due to higher side creeks I think I got wet feet about 5 times a loop. I was unable to hurdle the smaller ones because I couldn't hyperextend my left leg due to that damn tight hip flexor. I knew that if I tried, I would have torn something for sure. That would have resulted in a DNF which is not an option. Death before DNF.  
With the first lap done I felt strong and supported by my amazing, cheering crew and imperative volunteers, I pressed on. Apparently I got too relaxed because I ended up running over a mile off course on lap two. This was my fault; I was over thinking, over strategizing, and not paying attention to the little orange flags. I lost about 15 minutes on lap two and this stressed me out. I wasn't prepared for that type of mental challenge and it dominated my confidence for a significant period of time. Cranking my way back to the start/finish to begin lap 3, I was clearly distressed. My crew tried to give me nutrition and hydration but I snapped at them, got a little demanding and announced that I needed to get my ass in gear to make up for lost time. Fortunately a pacer joined me on the next lap and calmed my nerves completely. It was exactly what I needed. For the first time in a few hours, I was able to take a little pressure off myself and enjoy the run. I was reminded of form, encouraged to hydrate and chow on a few delicious gummy bears, and take in the experience. I'm pretty sure this lap set the pace for the rest of my race. I was joined by another pacer for the first mile of a few laps. This was such a blessing. Starting off a fresh lap knowing that I had 10 miles of hell hills, water crossings, varying temperatures, and solitude ahead of me was not fun. But, having someone with me for this start of the course was a life saver.
Laps 4, 5, 6 were all strong. One of my goals was to try and remain consistent in my pace when I could. After all, I had no expectations of a decent finish time..I just wanted to finish (well..something like that). Laps 7 and 8 were uneventful. I was joined by another pacer for a strong 9 miles of a course that did wonders to my spirits and provided a good distraction to a few painful blisters that started popping one by one. For a short time, I considered stopping to get my feet tapped up and change my socks or shoes. But, in my mind, that time deficit wasn't worth the pain. So, I kept going and eventually learned to manage the pain. Mental strength is a powerful thing. My quads were getting fried but I was amazed how strong I felt. I kept waiting to hit "the wall" or feel the bonk coming on but it never came. I just kept running. "JFR", right? I passed several people who cheered me on and seemed to push me even more. At this point, I starting looking at my watch and doing the math…holy balls, I could win this and I may even touch the record. True to my personality, the competitive drive overtook any pain, doubt, or fear that had crept into my mind over the last 18 or 19 hours. I wanted this and I was going to finish and in true Steph style.
The last lap was emotional. As with all my races, my mom was there, wishing me well and giving me the hope that I needed. She will probably never understand how important that moment was and I will never forget it. It was close to 1:30 a.m. and I had 10 hard miles to go to complete my 100 mile finish. My mind was mush but I still managed to figure out that I could pretty much walk this lap and possibly still take the record. So, I didn't push it. My quads were pretty deal that I literally inched my way in crossbacks down the many steep declines. For the inclines, I used my hand to literally push my thighs down to keep them from wobbling and keep moving forward. I teared up a couple times, but not from pain. I couldn't believe it; I had no idea that my potential is not limited by 100 miles. Where is the limit? I intend to find out.
Ultra is not a glamorous sport. Public urination, snot rocket launches, aid station food hanging out of your mouth, sodium-crusted profiles, and dudes stained from bleeding nipples are just a few of the norms. Halfway through the last lap, as with 4 other times before, I had the sudden urge to pee. And, as before, I stopped in the middle of the trail and dropped my shorts. However, because my quads were so shot, I wasn't able to really squat…so I just went. I didn't realize how bad of an idea this was until it was too late. Unknowingly, I had A LOT of chaffing issues around that general vicinity and salt-filled urine was like an electric shock. Cursing my own stupidity (out loud..everything was out loud at this point), I finished, pulled up my shorts and tried to walk. This just expanded the area of pain and I actually yelped a little. Unfortunately I was about 4 miles from water crossing so I just had to suck it up. It was cold, very cold..and stopping and feeling sorry for myself was not an option. My teeth chattered a bit and pressed on, whimpering and laughing at myself the entire time. I'm sure it was a truly attractive site.
Major landmarks on the course that I had seen 9 other times were like beams of light. I talked to them. There was a huge rock before the rope hill; I said "What up cracker" almost every time. Another section included a very steep downhill that seemed almost a liability to the course (I see now why we signed waivers). I said "Seriously??" every damn time I laughed in the face of death on the bad boy. The water crossings were a welcomed sight the last 40 miles. My calves were instantly refreshed with the cold, spring water each time I crossed. I loved it-poor man's ice bath.  Finally, Golf Hill, the last major hill before the finish was right in front of me. As in the final 400 yards of Ironman Wisconsin, I got immediately miserable. I didn't want it to end. I loved this experience. I loved pushing myself and feeling a sense of drive that pushed me through pain and exhaustion. I loved knowing that I am out in the woods doing something that most people will never understand. I loved feeling the since of belonging with likeminded athletes. I loved the feeling of control over a life that I feel like I have lost control over. Everything about this ultra overwhelmed me at that moment when I was creeping my way up the hill. I tried to bask in the idea that I was just accomplished a major feat, but I couldn't get past the sorrow that it was almost over. Then, at about 4:30 a.m., I saw the finish line lined with tents, a couple spectators, and my loved ones. Immediately I smiled, instantly I was able to enjoy the moment and forget the sorrow. I ran towards them, soaking it all in, feeling amazing. I had done it. I had ran 100 f#$%ing miles. I ran into their arms and was so overwhelmed I was almost speechless. I felt emotion building up inside of me and had to break away from their embrace momentarily to control it. I can't describe that moment accurately. I learned a lot that day about myself, my potential, and one more thing…I’m addicted to ultra and I will run another 100.  
Final official time: 22hrs 34 minutes 18 seconds. This was good enough to give me 1st place Overall Female, new Female course record holder, 3rd place Overall (male and female) for the race, and 10th fastest time in recorded race history (male and female). I am overwhelmed, humbled, and grateful. This could not have been accomplished without my amazing friends and family, incredible race, awesome fellow runners, and bad ass volunteers. KUDOS.

Year-to-date ULTRA results (official races, other ultra 'fun runs' not listed):
4/5/14: Potawatomi 100 Trail Race, 22:34 1st Place overall female, Course Record
3/15/14: Hawkeye 50k, 4:32 1st Place overall female
10/26/13: Surf the Murph 50 mile, 8:45 2nd Place overall female, 1st place AG
10/12/13: Running Village 50k 4:30 2nd Place overall female, 1st place AG

Now officially seeking Corporate/Local Sponsorships. Interested? Let's chat…

No comments:

Post a Comment