Thursday, June 30, 2016

Psycho disaster (7/14/14)



The term "you win some, you lose some" always annoyed me. It's such a nonchalant way of accepting loss, defeat, and unaccomplished goals. I understand that its fact, but it's the ingrained sense of comfort in dropping the ball that makes me want to slap a nun when I hear it. I can visualize a mandatory, unconscious shoulder shrug initiated mid phrase that just adds to my distaste and disapproval. Yuck..like a bad avocado.
Recently took on a challenging 50k trail ultra and did less than stellar..this horrible sentiment ( win some..lose..) actually meandered from my lips as I tried to convince myself that it's ok not to succeed. Clearly, I've had disappointments in life but it's a rarity for me to not accept it, learn from it and move on without letting it cripple my ego and attack my confidence. Although my recent disappointment was justifiable by some extent do to some sick weather conditions, it doesn't settle easily for me. Extreme heat did not mesh well with my body for some reason, although I take full responsibility for my performance.
My symptoms started fairly early in the race,  but about mile 17 or so with heavy legs, lethargy, and minor stomach issues. Within a couple miles of these symptoms, sh!t hit the fan. It was almost immediate and it was foreign to me. My stomach tightened up and cramp significantly, making anything around my intestinal area feel like fire pokers or the result of indulging in some bad Chinese food. My hydration belt and even tension from my waistband of my shorts progressed from a minor annoyance to an agonizing roadblock that seemed to conquer my drive and focus. This alone, would have been manageable as I am fairly confident in my ability to mentally overcome most physical disruptions, but that was not the case. Partnered with some serious GI issues was an onset of an intense headache, exhaustion, swelling throat, dizziness and blurred vision, increased cardiac rate and uncontrollable breathing, and occasional drooling (before and after vomiting). The vomiting occurred 4 times. I have never done this in a race-EVER, this includes high-intensity triathlons mid-summer; virgin-vomiting blows (literally). The worst hurling experience was when I was laying in the middle of the rocky trail, my head on a clump of dirt and my right leg tickled by uncharacteristically long grass for that area. I had already gotten sick once and felt extremely dizzy and knew if I didn't sit/lay down voluntarily the right force of wind from the flutter of a butterfly may knock me on my ass. Screw you butterflies-I choose my fate. So, down I went and before I knew it I could hear my heartbeat and I zoned out. I have no idea how long I was out, nor do I care. I was awakened by a fellow runner tapping me on my shoulder, rather aggressively. I'm not sure if it was the shock or unexpectedness of this arousal, but something triggered me to blow chunks (although mostly dry heaving) yet again as I laid on my back. No fun-but I think I scared her more than myself. She told me to stay there and she was getting help and took off. Immediately my thoughts moved from I feel like absolute crap and I need medical attention to..'damn, that girl just passed me.." and up I went and started weaving down the trail.
I was actually able to jog for a bit, hopes that the next aid station would bring relief in the form of ice, misting sprays and water (however I knew I couldn't even stomach that..) and possibly a medic on sight to involuntarily pull me off the course. I had awesome volunteers pour pitchers of ice on my head and down my sports bra. An ice cold towel on my head turned to sauna sweat towel in a matter of about 30 seconds. However, those chilly 30 seconds were glorious snippets of heaven that immediately slowed my breathing and gave me hope that I could press on.
 I knew placing in my AG or OA was out of the question. This bothered me for quite some time and I had yet to get under 2nd place in my ultra career..Ok, it still bothers me a little.  
Dropping at any moment was an option, I knew that and it haunted me. My focus teetered between what was best for my health and wellbeing to what was best for me as a runner. Granted I know those two should overlap but throwing in the towel would have been devastating to my confidence as a runner and athlete. My recited motto "death before DNF" flirted with a whole new level of realism on that hot Kansas day.
I pride myself on honesty but I lied that day…repeatedly. Every time a runner or volunteer asked me if I was ok as I was fighting to walk straight, keeping my vision from going in and out, and faking an occasional smile while focusing on a spot on the ground to maintain my balance and equilibrium--I lied. I lied to myself when I convinced myself that quitting would be a regret. It would have probably been smart. Finally, at four miles out, I sat on the trail, cramped up and put my head down again. This time when asked if I needed help by a couple runners, I boldly said 'yes'. However, this immediately encouraged me to get up and start back trekking on trail. It was suggested repeatedly that I just sit down and let medical come to me but I was too damn stubborn. I recited my plan to continue towards the finish line and asked them to send medical my way. I prayed I'd reach the finish line before they got me..Moments later I prayed they get me before I dropped to the ground. It was quite the battle of will, stubbornness, competitive drive, and ignorance. The victor is still unnamed.
Dr. Gay, on-site medical, ran at me on the trail. Lucky I had about 200 meters to go. Crossing the line would mean I avoided the dreaded DNF (primary focus), learned that my body could handle extreme adversity (secondary focus), and I was not dead (3rd and misprioritized focus). I was welcomed by the incredible RD, medical, and some fellow runners who I could not be more appreciative for. I apologized to the RD for throwing up repeatedly on his course. He was cool with it..he said it needed a little color anyways. Recovery took less than 20 minutes after sitting in an ice trailer, having pitchers of ice poured on me, having full body cramps rubbed out, and getting out of the sun. Positive note: my recovery time is stellar. Before I knew it, I was up walking around, cursing myself, my body, and my race time. (another good sign). My legs were not sore at all and I felt like I could go again if I could get some nutrition in me..Unfortunately it wasn't an option, which I am secretly grateful for.
Sunday morning, the day after, I laced up and went out for a run. I chose my course a little sadistically and decided to run a fairly sun-exposed bike trail. I wasn't sure how far I was going to go at first until I saw mile markers. My inner masochist took over and I knocked out 11 hot miles-feeling amazing. Within a quarter mile, any indication of the hell I put my body through was all but gone. Minimal leg pain, a little stomach pain from muscle seizing during the Exorcist-style vomiting, and a slight headache was all that plagued me on this recovery run. This is what I am choosing to take from the weekend and move forward. Saturday's disappointment in the form of a trail 50k is now overshadowed with the concept that it was one hell of a training run on an amazingly challenging course with incredible people. I can smile at the finisher's medal holding onto that thought and discount the rest.
I vow to not ever recite the words "You win some, you lose some" when it comes to ultra again because I truly do not believe them at all… I will save this phrase for spilling a beer.
"Winning" takes a different form for all of us and I refuse to let a race time supersede the higher and more long term benefits of a challenging race situation. Because of this weekend, I am revisiting my nutrition planning and thinking outside the box on supplements, mileage and hill work, sleep patterns, and rest days. Although I thought I was hydrating well, the coke-colored urine that even was a true indicator of possible rhabdomyolysis so I'm definitely addressing that issue as well. I also am reminded of the wonderful people in my life in form of friends (new and old) and fellow racers. I love the ultrarunning community and the unity and comradery that has been present at ever race I've participated it. That's pretty bad ass…that's winning. The only things that I feel I lost this weekend was time that was wasted pouting, engulfed with a bad attitude with related misguided energy..And 98.4% of everything in my stomach.

No comments:

Post a Comment