Thursday, June 30, 2016

Nutrition (11/26/14)



It's been awesome being able to help people along their journey in running, triathlon, and craft beer selection (among other things). For those of you who sought answers, you know that I speak from experience and what I've learned talking to my mentors, listening to podcasts, and reading about. I always tend to put a disclaimer on any or all information partially to avoid a lawsuit but mostly to encourage people to seek out their own answers. I've discovered that this journey is far more impactful and resourceful than just hearing a rookie ultrarunner babble. Nutrition seems to be an overwhelming theme lately…so, being a woman or my word, here is my latest rambling on race-day nutrition.
Official disclaimer: "I, (state your name), do not hold this author responsible for jack shit…unless it works, then it's all Steph." Proceed.
I like food- Big fan! It all has its place-Comfort food; 'food as fuel'; delicious naughtiness accompanied by liquid gold and shenanigans; or random cravings...mama likey. As many of you know, I cut out meat several years ago is my daily diet, well before I was an ultrarunner, so my nutrition planning and diet has always been a little different than the  'normal' individual. Clearly when I am cranking out the mileage in the middle of harsh race training, I am eating differently than when I'm recovering from a race and fighting off the post-awesomeness depression. I'm not nailed down to a specific eating pattern throughout the calendar year because my life (as anyone's..) is juggling demands of multiple variables. As a creature of habit, I'm not loving this. It can be hard for me to keep away from some of my cruxes when needed and, on the other hand, sometimes I feel abundantly guilty for satisfying a sweet tooth craving. I've beaten myself up about it..Jesus Christ is a bag of PB M&M's going to shave off a minute/mile? "That's just illogical." -Spock. This isn't my first rodeo, I know better, but I'm a little bipolar when it comes to food and what I will or will not allow myself to partake in.  Fortunately, after transitioning from triathlon to ultra, I learned that I am afforded a few more allowances with less affect on my training. I'm not exactly sure why, but possibly relating to the fact that I'm not suiting up in a swimsuit 3-4 days a week. Damn those full-lengths mirrors at the Y.
I have been able to be a bit more relaxed since my transition to primarily ultra and have to admit it's a lifestyle that is more suited to me. I love competing, rather it be a swim-bike-run or technical trail run for a couple dozen hours. It's who I am and more of an identity than hobby. I tend to be a little hard on myself and quitting is not ever an option (even after a couple heated 'discussions' with course medical vols who suggest otherwise). With this in mind, when it comes to nutrition and race day, I tighten the reins a bit. The research I've done on nutrition, especially going into my first 100 was quite extensive. Suggestions, guidelines, and conflicting opinions flooded me when trying to find out the ideal race nutrition plan. Great information, don't get me wrong, but definitely overwhelming. Some of the basics that stuck with me have significantly directed my nutrition-based maneuvers.
Science is hard to argue and human biology/anatomy is heavily researched, given us all a decent starting point. For example, the average runner can absorb 200-250ish (depending of sex/capability) calories per hour. Obviously a calorie comes in multiple forms but the most race-common seems to be carbohydrates. On average, carb absorption is about one gram/minute which equates to about 4 calories/gram (or 240ish calories per/hour). HEY, WAKE UP! Read that shit again...it took me awhile to soak it in as well; I had to draw pictures (smiley faces and beers were part of this educational art). According to a podcast that I listened to (I totally understand I am sucking at crediting my sources-see disclaimer), after about 5 hours-give or take-the body starts digesting proteins as well as carbs--however the percentage is much lower, around 20-25% of absorption/digestion. Sooooooo, carbs seem to go the 'go to' for race day nutrition. Think about what you see at aid stations or what you crew is yelling at you to take-mostly carbs? Obviously even the carbs come in a variety of forms. My choice is always the closest to 'whole foods' (fresh, unprocessed) when I am being nutrition-conscious. I am by no means an example of doing this religiously however and I've been known to dive my GU-covered hands in a bowl of M&Ms or licorice like a crack fiend. Obviously the more unnatural the food is, the less ideal for your body to process which slows the digestion/absorption rate and basically throws a damper is access of energy. I've tested this out a few times in non-race situations-eating whole, natural (sometimes raw) foods for a majority of my meals during a work week. I have noticed SIGNIFICANT benefits from everything from better hair and skin to less overall swelling and bloating. My mood was definitely better as well-but that maybe that because I looked less like the Staypuff Marshmallow Man. Who ya gonna call? On the other hand, after a night of hitting up a brewery and eating like crap, I definitely see me plump up a bit. Pisses me off. Side note: Too many carbs and not burning them off has the same affect on me. This totally blows because I could live a long and happy life on breads and cereal...granted I would mirror Jabba the Hut or Fat Bastard--"Get in my belly!". Sighhhh..such is life.
ANYWAYS, back to food...I see a lot of athletes swear by processed crap during their ultras-rock on homies, to each their own. However, it's pretty well known that we do NOT need fat intake during the race. Adding fat to the body is unnecessary and inefficient. It is basically adding more variables to disrupt digestion and possibly cause discomfort or GI challengs. The body processes glucose (carbs) much more effectively when it comes to energy conversion. Fats won't necessarily even be used in many cases so taking more doesn't really positively affect the results. Regardless how high or low your body fat index percentage is, you could run for days on the fat that you already have stored. I'm pretty sure the fats taken in are more for comfort and answering cravings, if runners are anything like me. I get that, sometimes it breaks the mental persecution and lightens the mood.  I have noticed another benefit to fat intake that I haven't read anywhere that is part of my back up plan mid race: When I know I'm not taking in the hydration or liquid calories that I need, a handful of fatty snacks at the aid station usually gets me craving liquids/hydro. I'm sure this has something to do with the sodium that is routinely along with many of the fatty foods that I personally choose, but regardless it's a win for me. 
Hydration HAS TO BE partnered with nutrition intake when planning; this is something that I've failed and learned from. Many experts suggest learning how much you sweat, factoring in the sodium content in your sweat (usually 1/3 teaspoon of sodium/liter) and then multiplying that 3-3 1/2 times to determine the sodium content in your blood. Yeeeahhh, so I haven't done that but it's interesting to learn why this information is important. This hit home after Pot100. I noticed some serious swelling after first 100miler than took several days to go down, specifically in my extremities. I didn't get it. I thought it was because I just beat the shit of out of my body for over 22 hours and every part of me was just pissed and bloating in protest. Well, it's a bit more scientific than that. What I learned is that I actually drank too much water (in regards to the necessary sodium-water ratio balance) and the swelling ensued and I retained water, becoming hyponatremic. I thought that if I wasn't urinating, which I wasn't after awhile, that I wasn't taking in enough fluids. On the contrary, what I learned after the fact is that my kidney functions were slowing after hours of exercise, which is pretty normal. (This also explains why I get a super awesome buzz if I drink beer after a killer workout--but that's for another story kids.) So it's crazy important to examine hydration (including the sodium balance/percentage) when determining a nutrition plan. I strongly believe that runners who have constant GI issues haven't spent enough time determining unique needs or practicing the implementation.
Yep, practice eating. Sounds like fun, eh? It's harder than it sounds. Many friends and curious onlookers have witnessed a buffet on the dash of the treadmill at the Y or have seen me running with some unidentified food in my hand. This is exactly what's going on. Running and eating is a skill in itself. Before ultrarunning, I never ate anything when I ran for the simple fact I had no noticeable appetite and that nothing sounded good (except when I ran by Casey's in the morning and they are making donuts…hell yes.). The fact of the matter is if you want to be run ultra (extended) distance, you have to figure this shit out. Whether food sounds good or not is strictly irrelevant. This is where the mindset of "food is fuel, not entertainment" has to dominate your subconscious. You have to truly believe or it will not stick.  I mean, come on..Ultra is an unattractive, painful sport. We are crapping on the trails, blowing snotrockets, hacking up loogies, squeezing down paste-like gel, and even pissing ourselves. There no excuse, none whatsoever, why a runner can't force a little unwanted nutrition consumption, especially when it is imperative to race success.  Am I right, or am I right? Next to mental preparation and the obvious training runs, races are lost due to nutrition disasters, in my humble opinion of course. I think about some of my ideal ultra foods for my race plan and they are nuts-I mean straight donkey balls (I don’t eat donkey balls, it's just an emphasis on the ridiculousness). My favorite nutrition choice that has no effect on GI and settles well every time is boiled plain potato dipped in salt. Grapes, watermelon, chicken broth with limited noodles (yes, I said chicken-no such thing as pescetarianism when I race), and nutella or hummus wraps are MONEY for me at any point in a race. After mile 75-80, heavier crabs seem agree with me as well. At Pot100, I bet I ate 3-4 grilled cheese sandwiches, while running of course, along with my staple peanut butter-honey-mini M&M sandwiches..Mmmm..Bon appetite biatches.
Nutrition consumption and hydration alone isn't sufficient planning. Timing is everything. I find it extremely beneficial to learn a bit about the course as early as possible. Pot100 was 10 glorious loops with well-spaced aid stations. So, I planned my nutrition based on those factors, broke down the calories needed and instructed my crew on what I would need (or..uh..demanded-I was kind of a Hitler). Hawk 100 was 25 mile loops, which forced me to look at nutrition a bit differently. I didn't have the access to my crew as before but I knew I had placed drop bags. However, I also know myself and knew that I wasn't going to want to waste time and momentum bending over to find my bag, opening it up, unwrapping my needs, etc. I know, I know…I totally sound like diva. Regardless, both experiences were eye-openings to factors that require more planning and also a stark reminder of how anal retentive I really am. I own it proudly.
There is clearly a science to nutrition, and I've only touched on my experience on what I've learned mid-race. Pre-race and post are completely different animals. I've had a few people ask for advice on the matter and my answer is always the same: "Research, experiment, and do what's best for you. Now, go get me a beer please." I love reading the pro's bios when they talk about what they do for nutrition. Many stick with gels for competition; the "Fruitarian" has reported pounding dates (I can't imagine taking in that much fiber); young stud Killian Jornet has been known to tackle some Kit-Kat's; Karnazes orders a pizza via GPS coordinates and pounds it burrito-style without breaking stride. That being said, I have no expertise in the area and even the reputable, proven resources have nutrition plans that completely contradict themselves, science, and the logistics of human biology. You may be better answer to your nutrition questions from a 5-year old.
I think that this mystery is another aspect that draws me to the sport of ultrarunning. Who the hell knows what the optimal plan is for doing anything in the sport? Whole food/zero-sucrose nutrition?  The use of pacers? Gatorade vs. Water vs. Sugar/salt water vs. Ensure? Post-race chocolate milk or IPA? I will never master the answers to every detail that will lead me to my ultimate potential. I'm ok with that. Northface said it best: 'Never Stop Exploring.' I get off on creating new hypotheses and testing them out. I'm a research nerd that love to ask questions and have my mind blown. I definitely like taking my own inquiries out on a nice long run and tossing possible solutions back and forth in solitude. This is constant in ultra and the never-ending questions and research possibilities are a welcomed friend when life stresses dominate the mind. Ultra is a good life distraction, with healthy side-effects. Ultra on, my friends, ultra on.
Damn it, now I'm craving PB M&M's.

No comments:

Post a Comment