Monday, December 25, 2017

Get MENTAL for your next 100-miler



Yesterday I found myself relaxing on the couch with an IPA, excitedly eyeing upcoming ultra races. One event in particular caught my eye and I was disappointed in myself when I was temporarily flooded with self-doubt. 100 miles, thousands of feet of gain/ascent, altitude, unpredictable weather…a combination that humbles a runner and gets them giddy at the same time. Seconds later, I am relieved by my nerd, neuroscience research-loving self and find myself searching for flights and travel accommodations.

Early into ultrarunning, I became cognizant to the proclamation that the mind is stronger than the body. I have echoed this dozens of times and believe in it wholeheartedly. When it comes down to brass tacks, regardless what the ultra course description promotes, the challenge of the event is far more focused on perception. Simply put, the race is only as hard as the brain believes it to be. Within reason, physical limitations are set by the BRAIN not the BODY. Countless hypotheses have been proven (yep..SCIENCE), yet focus on mental strength and training is still generally minimized by some.

Neglecting mental training in ultra running or endurance sports in general is like forgetting the anti-chafe: You will hurt in areas that you’d rather not expose to medics, or anyone for that matter.
Self-assessment is step one.

Visualize a pyramid. The structure of the pyramid is simple to imagine: quadrilateral base, triangular shape with a majestic pinnacle. Throughout this structure is multiple bricks. Although the bricks really don’t all stand out as individually dominant, they are imperative to the structure. Think of this pyramid as your ultra race with the pinnacle being your goal achievement, maybe crossing the finish line of a bitchin 100 miler. The bricks of the pyramid are the many variables that you will encounter during the race. The base of the pyramid are the factors that will have the most impact on your journey. Some of them are things you can control (opportunities) and some are things you cannot (threats). These can be highly debatable, but I tend to lean to: training plan/strategy, nutrition, recovery, lifestyle, and MENTAL STRENGTH/TENACITY.

How well do you know yourself? Take a painful walk back in time to a negative situation in your life. Think about the emotions that affected your overall resilience and stamina the most. This can be challenging-it takes a mentally strong individual to be completely neutral in self-assessment. It’s not a fun experience but crucial in getting a true, unjaded reflection of emotional and psychological health. While visualizing this challenging situation in your life, cognitively remove the emotion (this will be harder for some than others). After emotional factors are eliminated, how satisfied are you with your intellectual decision making during that specific occurrence? From the outside looking in, are you remorseful for your decisions or feel that your intellect was compromised by the intense emotional conditions? This exercise provides a strong example of how our psychological and emotional human nature alters cognitive processing and often impedes decision-making. Wars have been starting this way. #NukesHurt

A less complex example would be observing a victim of abuse in a relationship return to their abuser. It’s simple for those outside the situation, with no emotional and psychological connection, to use our top tier intellectually-driven decision making and direct the victim to not return to their abuser. All rational thoughts point to this conclusion. However, because of human nature and the significance of emotional dynamics (as well as other substantial factors), this doesn’t always happen. (Note: I am by no means degrading or attacking decision-making of victims of abuse…I have been there.).

Emotional variables are often overlooked in endurance training and racing. These factors play a much larger role in overall performance that many realize. There’s countless resources to validate this. Google it. The brain releases a chain reaction of hormones during stress which, if not regulated, can result in substantial influences on decision-making and even physical abilities. Think about depression for a moment. For a person struggling with depression, EVERY aspect of their life is affected, clearly it’s not “all in their head”. This hypothesis is proven again and again when the regulation of altered hormones (through medication, other interventions, etc.) is stabilized resulting in overall physical, social-emotional and intellectual function improvements.

The older (wiser) I get, the more I feel that I’m getting a better grasp on how mental and general wellness partners seamlessly with overall functioning..including ultrarunning. Hindsight has pointed out to me that some decisions I’ve made have weighed too strongly on emotions instead of intellect. I’ll admit that. If I didn’t recognize that, I couldn’t modify it.  

As a self-proclaimed ‘student of life’, I welcome and eagerly embrace epiphanies that encourage me to explore deeper, even when it personally highlights my own deficits. The separation of emotions and intellect should be a dominant in society as the separation between Church and State. There’s clarity in this concept. Simply put, extracting even a small percentage (at first) of emotion and increasing the percentage of intellectually-based decision-making has inspired significant changes in my life. This may has made me a bit more cynical, but in a healthy, knowledge-seeking way. On a related note, the concept of algorithm is the going to move our civilization to a whole new level once universally accepted and adapted. Quote me on that.

Sooooo, let’s bring this back to ultrarunning. Forgive me for ‘nerding out’ for a moment but I love this shit.
As an avid ultrarunner and dirt lover, I can contest that any variable that negatively alters my abilities during an ultra is a HUGE issue and is not to be taken lightly. This is most apparent to me when I run 100’s. This distance is monumental to me and has emerged from my desire to cross the finish line of an event with surreal mileage to something completely different. I don’t really ‘race’ in a 100. It’s more of a journey-implementing a strategy, overcoming obstacles, and pushing through barriers with passion and tenacity. Competitively, it’s not my best distance..yet…but the personal rewards are unsurpassed.

I noticed the legit effects of emotional and psychological awareness during my first 100, and every one after that for that matter. During my virgin 100miler and managing emotions after hours upon hours of running, it was apparent that I was all over the place. This was clearly reflected in my performance. I cried when I cut off the path of rabbit running into the brush because I felt bad for scaring him..I cursed out a specific stump on the course every time I passed it for no reason other than it pissed me off..I teared up when I saw my family and crew..
For you visual learners, imagine a line graph with the x-axis representing mileage or hours running and the (vertical) y-axis denoting mental/emotional stability and flawless decision-making. Now start drawing line. As you progress along the x-axis and the mileage/hours running increase, start taking shots of your favorite whiskey. Ten miles later, double the shots, head bang to Metallica, and spin in circles like Julie Andrews from the Sound of Music…all while continuing to progress along the x-axis. The line looks a little different, eh? In a ‘nutshell’ (mandatory AIC reference), that’s a pretty decent representation of the unaddressed emotional rollercoaster encourage by running 100+ miles. Can you image what that does to the correlating intellectual processing? Not a pretty picture.

Unaddressed or ignored mental stress can have a traumatic effect on performance. The lows in emotionally-driven motivation or lack of positivity can echo in your run pace, strength, and ability to stimulate the neurological processes to produce adrenaline and serotonin. This can literally be crippling. Regardless the amount of love for running, every ultrarunner faces moments in the race where they aren’t dancing on rainbows. Even the best of the best can experience mental and emotional low points that can knock them off the podium.

Well, geez Debbie Downer, now what?

Fortunately, the mind is trainable..Ask any bad ass Navy SEAL. However, voluntary cognitive efforts need to be initiated for change to occur. Yes, it takes effort.
I am a humbled student of this and my personal quest for understanding is still in infancy, so take that for what it’s worth. However, since neuroscience and related research is so rad, and it encourages a ‘scientific boner’, I’m going to proceed to babble my perspective. Stop reading any time.

Addressing mental strength and implementing strategy is as personal as your shoe selection. This is why I stress self-awareness and wasted the last 5 minutes of your life touching on it. Remove your pride and ego and be real with yourself.
Things to consider:
Are you dependent on others to recover from stress or is your coping primarily internal?  Think about what has been a historical comforter in previous stressful situations. There isn’t a right or wrong here. Preference to social comforts is not a sign of weakness so embrace that route if the shoe fits.  Humans are ‘pack animals’, so you may not be in the minority. If this is you, own it and strategize to your needs. During your race planning, you may want to surround yourself with the right people and plan your strongest relationships on different parts of the course. This could be having a significant other or whomever can lift your spirits at key points in the course.
Run with a memento or item that will cue positive thoughts that are associated with people you love.  In my most recent 100, I ran with a small item that reminded me of the love and positive spirit of my grandmother that passed away. Because of this reminder, I was able to draw strength and momentum, knowing she was with and giggling at my stupidity. At one point, I smelled her as well but that’s a whole other post.

Driven by words? Mantras can be powerful as well.
 “Pain is temporary, glory is forever.” -unknown
 “..The future, for which I have really worked, is mine.”-Nikola Tesla
“Any way that you can get the end result is valid, whatever it takes.” -Chris Cornell
 Anything is possible.” -Ironman
I took this to another level when at Ironman Wisconsin and wrote “P 4:13” in black, permanent marker on my forearm. Although worthless during the 2.4-mile swim, I glanced at this several times during the 112-mile bike and marathon run. For the unfamiliar, reference the book of Philippians.
If you have a mantra and it moves you, maximize it. Keep in mind that during extreme endurance, your body and cognitive process will change. Memory, among other things, may be affected so I recommend writing it in random places.

Stimulate as many senses as possible for motivational purposes because their capabilities will likely be compromised at some level. Create small, attainable goals and rewards. Some thoughts on other focuses in sensory training..

Visually
- Signs and posters from your crew that will inspire you or crack you up (the “Worst Parade Ever” sign along an ultra course is still my favorite. Honorable mentions: “You paid for this.” “You’re NOT almost there.” “Suck it up Buttercup.” “There’s beer at the finish line.”)
- Aid Station sightings: Plan to increase your pace slightly when the next aid station comes into view. This distracts you from pain and gives you an immediate gratification when you can slow down a tad after reaching your goal-the aid station
- Take solace in nature and take time to soak in your surroundings. If you don’t love trail running for the purity of nature, don’t sign up for a trail race Numbnuts. Duh.
- Check out other runners. There are some hotties out there, trust me. Mama likey.
- Shoes. I love shoes. Occasionally I will distract myself from trying to add up which shoe company has the most dominate presence in a race.  
- Later on in mileage, mild hallucinations may occur. Learn to find humor in this, embrace it.

Audibly
- Music. Use it strategically. I don’t recommend running to music the entire race, but it can be a great occasional, stimulating incentive. I tend to reward myself with it after pre-determined mile markers (mile 30 through the next two aid stations; mile 60 through the next 2 aid stations, etc.). This must be set during pre-race strategizing, not mid-race. Do not waiver from your schedule; that defeats the whole purpose and kills the significance of the music reward. Discipline is a beautiful, painful thing. Embrace the suck.
Additionally, specific songs are great for subconsciously flipping a switch in your brain that produces an adrenaline surge. This requires some training for peak benefits; incorporate a favorite song in your long runs and when it’s on, so are you. Book it; light a fire under ass and haul. It’s extremely important to enjoy this experience however because you want to cue adrenaline and serotonin (the happy hormone) release. Race day your body will react to what it’s taught. This has worked for me and how a permanent weapon in my race attack strategy.
- Produce positivity verbally. Encourage your fellow runners, thank volunteers, crack jokes. Even if you aren’t feeling particularly jovial at the moment, fake it until you do. This will encourage others to do the same and something might strike a chord with you. Remember that ultrarunning isn’t all about you; it’s about community and supporting your fellow, trail-loving, dirtbag brothers and sisters.
- Distract your senses. Listen for wildlife and tune into the experience. I recall a moment doing this at altitude during Colorado mountain race and heard a rustle in some bushes that sucked in my focus until I saw a moose. He was super still and glaring at me and giving off “I’m kind of an asshole” vibe. This produced an unexpected adrenaline kick as well; not to mention a hell of a memory. I didn’t think at all about my burning calves and kicked out a 6:30-7:00 minute mile up an incline out of the valley. Mind over legs.

Taste
- If you aren’t a rookie, you know that your appetite will be as predictable as Trumps 2 AM tweets. This is why it’s so important to practice nutrition during your training. Keep in mind that foods that taste good after a 28-mile-long run at a slow pace will not necessarily taste good after a 10-mile speed work workout. When your GI system is dealing with different levels of exertions and different types of acid and hormone release, appetite and ease of digestion is affected. I’m not going into a six-page rant on nutrition strategies (at the moment) as I want to stay dialed into sensory training, so you are off the hook for the moment. Nevertheless, know that you can use food as a cognitive race tool by means of sensory association as well. Find a reward treat for milestone miles that is appealing during all levels of exertion and training. It should be small and simple and should not be a primary nutrition source. VERY IMPORTANT: Do not snack on this treat AT ALL other than during reward or it will lose all association with sensory reward training.

Touch
First off..Peeps: if you are crewing me in an ultra, don’t touch me. Seriously, just don’t do it. It’s a personal preference. I will go from ultrarunner to ultrabitch in .4 seconds flat.
However, some runners use scheduled massage as a reward at milestones during a race. Sometimes looking forward to a 2-minute shoulder or calf massage is enough to motivate perseverance. My personal thought is that I don’t want to remind my body how nice it is to relax or engage in positive touch (bow chica wow wow) until after the race when I have a cold beer in my hand. It’s just that much harder to leave the aid station otherwise. Sitting can be a reward as well, but BEWARE OF THE CHAIR. Weaker-minded runners may surrender to the physical relief. I’ve seen many regretted DNFs this way.

The over arching point is consistent in all sensory training and mental strength and conditioning. The focus should NOT be the reward; the focus should be dialing in the motivation through disciplined training to make your body and mind SEEK the reward. Desire and perseverance is much stronger than what you think your physical limitations are. Training with this perspective and mind set with produce discipline. Discipline produces consistency. Consistency will produce tenacity. Tenacity will produce results.

Remember that the mind tells the body how challenging the race is, not the other way around. Train the mind as efficiently as the body. 100-milers are no joke and you must respect the distance. Be realistic and expect pain, self-doubt..and pain. Sometimes there’s pain..it can hurt. Did I mention to expect pain? However, proper mental preparation will provide tools to overcome the temporary discomfort, complete that bitchin 100-miler, and add another (or first) buckle to your collection. A week later you’ll be like I was yesterday, eyeing more challenges and eager for your next ultra adventure.

Embrace the suck, expect the pain, train the mind, drink good beer.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment